Here are the nominees for The Columbian winter sports prep athlete of the week for the week ending Feb. 1.
Voting will continue until 8 p.m. Thursday, with results announced in Friday’s edition of The Columbian.
Nominations are limited to one per sport, one per school, each week.
Winners of athlete of the week may not be nominated again until the postseason. Athletes cannot be nominated in consecutive weeks.
To avoid vote manipulation, voting is restricted by IP address, one vote per IP address. That means people voting while connected to a public WIFI access may be unable vote. We suggest voting be done by private internet access or through your cellular provider.
- HUNTER ECKLUND, LA CENTER BOYS BASKETBALL: Ecklund had 28 points and five assists vs. Columbia-White Salmon and 27 points, nine rebounds and eight assists vs. Castle Rock.
- CLAIRE HEITSCHMIDT, PRAIRIE GIRLS BASKETBALL: The junior had 19 points, 13 rebounds and five assists in a big win over Kelso and added 18 more points in a win over Fort.
- JACK GALLO, UNION BOYS SWIMMING: Gallo swam a state-qualifying time of 4:55.46 in the 500 freestyle and helped Union to a relay win at the Southwest Washington Invitational.
- ALYSSA SHIBATA, CAMAS GYMNASTICS: Shibata won the bars and beams with scores of 9.8, scored 9.6 on the floor to tally an all-around mark of 38.40 at a meet at VEGA.
- KAILEE WILCOX, EVERGREEN GIRLS BOWLING: Wilcox had games of 247, 194 and 216 for 657 series to win the 3A district title.