LONGVIEW — Firefighters rescued a sleeping teen from a house fire Monday night in Longview, authorities say.
Tenants of the home escaped the blaze, performed a headcount and realized a 17-year-old girl was missing, according to Longview authorities. Firefighters quickly found the teen, who was sound asleep in the basement, and escorted her from the home.
She wasn’t hurt.
Firefighters also controlled the blaze within about 20 minutes.
Investigators believe the blaze started in an attached garage, and they’re looking into several possible causes, including a wall heater.
The garage, a laundry room and a stairway leading to the house’s first floor were damaged. The house’s first floor also sustained heavy smoke damage. Damage could top $75,000.
Authorities said the home, 321 16th Ave., didn’t have any working smoke alarms.
They said fatal fires are most frequent while people are asleep, and smoke alarms are the best device to alert people of fire danger. Smoke alarms should be in every bedroom, outside of every bedroom and on each level of a house. They should also be tested monthly.
The American Red Cross was dispatched to help the tenants with short-term housing and other needs.