The leaves are starting to change color. The days are getting cooler and shorter.
It’s the heart of autumn in Washington, and this week should have been Week 8 of the high school football season.
But this year, it is not.
And as frustrating as that is, we hope that our Friday Night Flashback series is helping to fill that void in a little way.
In addition as serving as a reminder of games in years past – or even introducing you to games that you knew very little about – talking to participants in these classic games have also brought to light details that I hadn’t previously heard.
That’s been my favorite.
Here are the game’s that we have revisited to date.
- Sept. 4: Columbia River 29, Skyview 24, from 2013.
- Sept. 11: Union 34, El Cerrito (CA) 29, from 2018.
- Sept. 18: Ridgefield 14, La Center 0, from 2003.
- Sept. 25: Prairie 2, Camas 0, from 1983.
- Oct. 2: Hockinson 14, Columbia River 13, from 2016.
- Oct. 9: Mountain View 34, Columbia River 28, from 2011.
- Oct. 16: Evergreen 19, Mountain View 15, from 2002.
And we will complete the regular-season portion of our schedule with:
- Oct. 23: Toledo 33, Ridgefield 27, 7 OTs, from 1983.
- Oct. 30: Union 14, Camas 13, from 2017.
After that, we will move to postseason game, which are some of the most memorable games in prep history in Southwest Washington.