Tuesday, May 17, 2022
May 17, 2022

Linkedin Pinterest

Grill fire causes $234K in damage to east Vancouver home

Four residents and a dog were displaced but no one was injured

By , Columbian staff writer

A propane grill fire destroyed an east Vancouver house Monday night and displaced four adults and a dog, according to the Vancouver Fire Marshal’s Office.

The Vancouver Fire Department responded to a structure fire at 9:06 p.m. at 11908 S.E. Riveridge Drive in the Cascade Park area.

The fire began on the balcony of the house, according to Vancouver Fire Marshal Heidi Scarpelli. The propane grill was too close to the side of the house while in use.

The fire spread from the balcony into the attic space and interior of the house, Scarpelli said. The house is not habitable and the Red Cross is in touch with the residents.

The fire damage and content loss was $234,503, according to the fire marshal.

“This fire was preventable. It is important that while cooking either indoors or outdoors to keep an eye on the appliance/food,” Scarpelli said. “To reduce the chances of an unwanted fire, remember cooking is an active process until all burners, stove, oven and BBQ are turned off.”

Support local journalism

Your tax-deductible donation to The Columbian’s Community Funded Journalism program will contribute to better local reporting on key issues, including homelessness, housing, transportation and the environment. Reporters will focus on narrative, investigative and data-driven storytelling.

Local journalism needs your help. It’s an essential part of a healthy community and a healthy democracy.

Community Funded Journalism logo