<img height="1" width="1" style="display:none" src="https://www.facebook.com/tr?id=192888919167017&amp;ev=PageView&amp;noscript=1">
Tuesday, February 27, 2024
Feb. 27, 2024

Linkedin Pinterest

This week in Clark County history

By
Published:

A weekly look back compiled by the Clark County Historical Museum from The Columbian archives available at columbian.newspapers.com or at the museum.

  • 100 years ago

On Dec. 1, 1923, 800 tons of steel arrived at the Northwestern Equipment Co. factory on the former Standifer Shipyard site. The factory was planning to begin manufacturing in the ensuing days. Workers had already installed most of the plant’s equipment, readying the site to begin “actual manufacturing operations.” The company employed around 60 men.

  • 75 years ago

Local nut growers began to gear up for the upcoming meeting of the Oregon-Washington Nut Growers Society. The two-day meeting would take place in Vancouver and welcome nearly 300 attendees to a litany of events, lectures and discussions. Nut enthusiasts could expect topics such as soil management and fertilizers; the nut industry and commercial banking; and the filbert industry in Europe.

  • 50 years ago

Drivers in Vancouver filled their tanks as they prepared to observe “Gasless Sunday” on Dec. 2, 1973, as requested by President Richard Nixon. In response to the ongoing energy crises, Nixon ordered numerous actions to save energy, including closing service stations. Congress declined to make the president’s order mandatory, however. According to The Columbian, only one service station intended to stay open on Sunday.

  • 25 years ago

The groundbreaking ceremony for “a YMCA recreation facility and Vancouver Housing Authority apartment development” occurred Dec. 2, 1998. Construction was expected to take two years. The $27.2 million project (about $50.9 million in today’s dollars) featured a YMCA building with workout equipment, basketball courts, swimming pool and day care for about 100 children, as well as a 296-unit apartment complex. The YMCA and VHA first announced the joint venture in 1997.

Loading...