Thursday, March 4, 2021
March 4, 2021

Linkedin Pinterest

Unattended food left on stove cause of fire in Landover-Sharmel neighborhood

By , Columbian Assistant Metro Editor
Published:

A kitchen fire at an apartment in Vancouver’s Landover-Sharmel neighborhood last week was caused by unattended food on the stove, according to the Vancouver Fire Department.

Fire crews were dispatched at 8:05 p.m. Wednesday to the Cascade Woods apartments, 2508 N.E. 138th Ave., near Evergreen High School. A resident asked a neighbor to call 911 after a fire started on their stovetop, according to a fire department news release.

Firefighters arrived within four minutes and found fire in the second-floor apartment, the news release states. Additional units responded for a total of 22 firefighters.

All residents were safely evacuated; there were no injuries, the fire department said. The blaze was brought under control within 10 minutes.

The fire caused about $26,000 worth of damage, according to a Facebook post from the fire department. The unit cannot be occupied because of the damage.

Loading...

Commenting is no longer available on Columbian.com. Please visit our Facebook page to leave comments on local stories.